Under limited direction and with a moderate level of autonomy, uses extensive knowledge and skills obtained through education and experience to prepare SEC reports, conduct complex accounting disclosure research, and work with auditors. Performs varied, complex accounting functions with responsibility for recommending solutions and proper treatment. Evaluation, originality and ingenuity are required to locate, select and apply appropriate procedures, processes and techniques to specific assignments. Maintains regular contact with all levels of management and other internal customers to identify, research, and recommend solutions to accounting issues and problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and/or oversees the preparation of SEC filings (10-Q, 10-K and 8-K, including XBRL) including management discussion and analysis, description of business and risk, and financial statements including footnotes and supporting schedules.
- Researches and evaluates the effect of new accounting and SEC pronouncements. Assists in the implementation of new accounting requirements.
- Oversees preparation of quarterly external reporting releases, including quarterly earnings release and supplement, while supporting preparation of quarterly external presentation.
- Prepares and/or oversees the preparation of investor presentations and other marketing materials.
- Provides guidance and expertise to support preparation of monthly operating releases, 8-K filings, and proxy.
- Reviews accounting memos and work done by others in the financial reporting department.
- Supervises SEC Reporting Accountant.
- Reviews internal reporting structures to ensure consistency with external reporting.
- Manages relationships with, and assists, internal and external auditors in the review of quarterly and annual financial information and provides additional information as needed.
- Coordinate implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of systems and tools used to support SEC filings.
- Recommends process improvements to increase efficiency in processing or analyzing financial information.
- Reviews SEC filings of entities in our peer group and provides recommendations for any changes in our filings based upon these reviews.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Advanced accounting concepts, practices and procedures.
• Accounting software packages.
• Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• SEC reporting; including 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K and XBRL.
Experience using Wdesk is highly preferred.
• Reviewing, interpreting and analyzing financial statements.
• Analyzing and proposing solutions to unusual transactions and accounting discrepancies.
• Researching GAAP & SEC issues.
• Interpreting and applying policies and procedures.
• Promoting effective coordination between department and other functional areas.
• Work additional hours during preparation of SEC filings.
• Implement changes to standard procedures when required by specific situations and circumstances.
• Work independently, make decisions and suggest resolutions to complex accounting problems.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with all organizational levels, including senior management.
• Explain or clarify financial information to all levels of management.
• Provide training to others.
• Organize, manage and track multiple detailed tasks and assignments with frequently changing priorities in a fast-paced work environment.
• Supervise, instruct and develop SEC staff.
• Provide a high level of customer service.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) in accounting and a minimum of six (6) years of experience with preparing and analyzing financial information.
• OR ~
• Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
• SIE required provided that an exemption or grandfathering cannot be applied.
• Series 99, or ability to obtain within 120 days (as required by FINRA), may be required depending on assigned functional area.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation.
Company – Raymond James
Location – St. Petersburg, FL